Jan 4, 2018
In summing up 2017, it was a big year for the global PropTech community. Some of my favorite highlights included PropTech IPOs/exits for Redfin, Qube, Real Matters, and ForRent; high profile equity rounds for PropTech leaders like WeWork, Cadre, Compstak, Honest Buildings, Convene, Common, Compass (All NY based) and Nested, and new venture fund announcements from FifthWall, Aurum, PiLabs and Navitas.
Additionally, 2017 was also one heck of a year for MetaProp NYC and our portfolio companies. Here are some of my favorite highlights:
- MetaProp Accelerator @ Columbia University 2016/2017 class graduation and demos in NYC and SF; launched MetaProp Accelerator 2017/2018 class.
- Created and completed the innovative MetaProp Pre-Accelerator @ Columbia University, the world’s first PropTech Pre-Accelerator.
- Announced the 2018 MetaProp Bridge program for European startups looking to enter North American markets.
- Exciting follow-on funding announcements and deals for fund and partner portcos Compstak, Common, RealtyShares, BuildingConnected, Bowery, Notion, Flip, WeSmartPark, Jetty, Spruce, Flo Technologies, Loftsmart, Rentalutions, and more.
- Completed initial investments out of Fund I; began investing out of MetaProp Ventures Fund II and welcomed some of the biggest names in real estate to the investor group.
ADVISORY AND RESEARCH HIGHLIGHTS
- Formalized relationship with Cushman & Wakefield and now assisting with PropTech engagement and corporate development around the world.
- Released Global PropTech Confidence Index H12017 and H22017.
- Published our insights about the future of office space and parking.
- Smart thoughts from Entrepreneur in Residence Jeremy Smith on how PropTech startups scale and Columbia University Venture Fellow Alice Guo on PropTech in China.
- Led massive 2017 NYC Real Estate Tech Week and 1st annual Global PropTech Awards.
- Co-produced another “Davos of PropTech” (33 countries and more than 800 attendees) event, MIPIM PropTech Summit NY 2017.
- Keynote speaker at Argus Connect in Arizona.
- Spoke at ULI Real Estate Outlook event in NYC and Greenprint event at ULI Fall Meeting in Los Angeles.
- Led MIPIM Global Startup Competition in Cannes, NY, HK, London.
- Keynote speaker at EG Tech Talk in London and Latin American Real Estate Tech Council in Miami
- Spoke at KPMG CRE London about the Global PropTech Survey
- Added key players, including Marketing Director Deedee Chong, Associate Director of Operations and Events Evan Petitt in addition to a number of internal promotions.
- Special mention to our former fellows and interns securing big jobs at Goldman Sachs, BofA Merrill Lynch, Citi, Moelis & Co. and other prestigious shops.
I’m so impressed with the overall PropTech community. However, I’m beyond proud MetaProp’s partners, directors, associates, fellows/interns, investors, mentors and supporters for making so much magic in 2017.
Look out 2018!!!